David E. Loftis, Ph.D.

Clinical Psychologist

Monday, February 21, 2011

Making Your Bed


A couple of years ago it dawned on me that I enjoyed walking into my bedroom and seeing a made bed. This was after years of not making my bed unless I was changing the sheets or was having company.

So I decided to try an experiment and committed to making my bed every morning. I discovered that it only took me about a minute or two minutes at the most and that it seemed that I was making a positive statement to myself about how I wanted my day and my life to be.

I was not doing this to please my mother or any guests that might be coming to my house. In fact, my mother was not alive except for her residence in my own psyche and more often than not, I was not having guests that would even notice whether or not my bed was made.

Making my bed was just something that pleased me.

I began to think of the behavior as a mini-meditation or some sort of statement of intention about my day. I was taking care of myself in this small, yet very symbolic way. As I began my day I was pausing momentarily to say that I was going to have a good day.

Making my bed has now become routine and I find it rewarding on a number of levels. I usually say something to myself as I am doing it like, “You are going to make this a good day.” I have come to believe that it is good for me even if I am not conscious of making positive statements while I am doing it.

So what’s my point?

I recommend that you find your own version of “making your bed.” It doesn’t have to be literally making your bed, it could be brushing your teeth or washing your hair or making your coffee. It just needs to be something that you do every morning and something that is taking care of yourself.

If you want to add an affirmation such as. “I’m going to have a great day,” that’s fine but not necessary. You don’t have to make it a big “woo woo” deal. Keep it simple and make it really fit for you.

If you want to copy me by actually making your bed, go for it. Try it on for a week or two and see how you feel.

Let me know how it works for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment